Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eggless Wholewheat Blueberry Scones

Scones are British quick bread which is of Scottish origin. British traditional afternoon tea consists of a collection of sandwiches, scones, jam and clotted cream. This is the first time I baked scones and absolutely loved it with my tea and also as a quick breakfast. They are delicious hot or cold. I substituted Wheat flour for regular AP flour and made it egg-less using flax seed meal.


Ingredients:
Source: Joyof baking
Serves: 8
Wholewheat flour - 2 cups (I used atta flour)
Sugar - 1/3 cup - increase to 1/2 for sweeter scones
Baking powder - 2 tsps
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Butter - 6 tbsp - needs to be cold and hard
Fresh blueberries - 3/4 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Flax seed meal - 1 tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp water 
(Flax meal can be replaced with 1 slightly beaten egg if desired)
Milk - 1/2 cup - 120 ml
Milk for brushing


Method:
Place the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 400 F.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder for 30 secs. In a separate small bowl, mix together vanilla, flax seed meal with water and milk. Set aside. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and mix, until it resembles crumbles. You may use a food processor/blender and pulse it for 5 secs to get this step done. Transfer the flour crumble to a big bowl and fold in the blueberries. Now add the milk mixture to the flour and mix using a spatula. Knead until a dough forms. Do not knead too much, but just until it comes together. Move the dough to a floured surface and gently press to form a round shape with 1 1/2" thickness. Dip a knife in flour and cut it into 8 triangles, like in a pizza/pie. Move to the scones to a cookie sheet and place with an 1" distance. Brush the top of the scones with milk. Bake for 18-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the scones to cooling rack. Serve warm for breakfast or cool and store in a container.



This blueberry scones are my entry to the following events. Breakfast Club - To Go event by Helen, A.W.E.D. British event by Reva and DK, Cooking with Fruits, CWS - Flax Seeds guest hosted by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan, event by Priya Suresh.





 

Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight hosted by Nupur of UK-Rasoi, for the month of April 2012.




Blueberry Scones

29 comments:

  1. That would be a perfect breakfast to go, looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect breakfast to go:-) I would love to have it with a glass of cold milk...slurp:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect breakfast,delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scones looks absolutely marvellous Krithi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoo..they look fantastic..will make for a great homemade breakfast!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy scones, I can't beleive it's without eggs..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious eggless recipe...
    Happy to follow you :)

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scones look so yummy and colorful. Mouthwatering recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect breakfast with these yummy scones..

    ReplyDelete
  10. tht's cool --nice & without eggs it defenitely looks wow !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous :)
    Nice breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfect to start the day with these perfectly baked scones

    ReplyDelete
  13. scones look very good and awesome!

    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blueberry scones looks wonderful seems should be yummy too lovely krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so delectable and it came out perfect Krithi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there Krithi!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love scones and would love to have some of these healthy treats..

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look fabulous !! Would love them with coffee ...
    www.kankanasaxena.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. perefct for breakfast with glass full of milk..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  21. First time to your blog Krithi.. U have a very nice space with variety of delicious recipes..I have started following you..Scone looks just perfect and yummy..
    Sunanda
    Sunanda's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time here. You have a nice blog Krithi. Scones look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What will happen if I don't use egg or flaxseed? Will it still taste the same? As in what is the use of eggs or flaxseed in this recipe? Can I skip it all together?

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.