Saturday, February 22, 2014

Aloor Dum / Baby Potatoes in Tomato Curry | Bengali Recipes

There are some foods that lure you to make immediately. This was one such recipe. When I saw this in Sutapa's space, I thought "If only I had baby potatoes at hand right now..". But that didn't stop me from making this. I had DH get baby potatoes the very next day and I made this for dinner to go with my Spring Onion Paratha. Oh my, this was super tasty. You won't believe how a simple combination of spices would make something this tasty. Is it the baby potatoes or the onions in the spice paste or the ghee? Ghee, definitely had to be the ghee.. or.. ok well I am not able to come to a conclusion. 
Bottomline.. Super tasty curry..


Ingredients:
Serves - 3-4
Baby Potatoes - 15
Onion - sliced thin - 1 cup
Tomato - 2
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - as needed
Spice paste:
Pearl onions - 3
Garlic cloves - 8
Ginger - 1 tsp - chopped
Method:
Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until fork tender. Drain, peel and set aside. Blanch, remove skin and seeds from the tomatoes. Make a puree and reserve. In a kadai, heat a tsp of oil and fry the ingredients for spice paste. When golden brown, allow to cool and make a paste. In the same kadai, heat about 2 tbsp of oil and shallow fry the peeled potatoes. Remove and set aside. Add oil if needed and fry the onions until it turns golden brown. Add the ground spice paste and the spice powders (all but the garam masala). Cook for about 2 minutes in medium heat and add the tomato puree and salt. Add the fried potatoes with about 1 to 2 cups of water. Mix well. The curry would be watery at this time. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking until desired thickness is achieved, about 15 mins. Add the ghee, garam masala and give a mix. Turn the heat off. Serve with any roti/paratha of your choice.
Linking this to In my Veg box - Potatoes event.

6 comments:

  1. wow mouthwatering dum aloo :) looks so delicious and yummy !! I wud love to finish them with phulkas !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty and tempting dum aloo, you have made it with easily available ingredients in kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious thanks for sending it to In my veg box potatoes event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect dish to have with any Indian bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krithi i had tried this too.. forgot to let u know. as always this also tasted great !!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.